NOTE: We are currently seeking funding for our new writing programme. Dates will be announced once the funding has been secured.
The Blue Orange Theatre has an unwavering commitment to new writing. We are passionate about writing that is compelling, thought-provoking and experimental. Writers are encouraged to freely express their ideas using the group as a sounding board. Our main aims are:
- to provide helpful feedback and constructive criticism during the creative writing process for both new and experienced writers within a supportive environment.
- to share ideas and encourage original, innovative work amongst an ever-evolving group of rich and varied identity, and life experience.
- to cultivate our skills; to write to professional standards; to eventually see our work played out on the stage.
Why not pop in and join us – all are welcome! It is free to join. However, we do appreciate you buying a drink at the bar.
Overview of Group
The Blue Orange Writers focus on two productions a year which take place in the summer and winter. These showcases include an evening of short plays of between ten and thirty minutes in length. The calls for submission run as follows:
- Each competition will have three evenings (one per month) when pieces can be read. Exact dates are confirmed when the completion date is announced.
- Writers must email and book a slot on one of the evenings and MUST attend bringing as many scripts as required.
- A theme, along with some casting information, will be set for each competition.
- We will do our best to have actors present at each evening to read the work.
- We are happy for writers to bring in works in progress to obtain group feedback in order to resubmit their work later on.
- We encourage writers to attend as many of the reading evenings as possible, as the critiquing of scripts is an invaluable learning tool; if you want feedback on your scripts then it is good practice to give feedback in return.
- We also appreciate and encourage writers to actively engage with the theatre’s work so they can better understand the quality of its output.
Important Note: we will not accept emailed scripts. You must contact us in the first instance and bring the script along to the meeting for consideration (with enough copies for actors to read).
Previous BOW Shows
Shorts 3 – Ten, new, short plays presented as part of Birmingham Fest (July 2015)
Love Stories – A showcase of four one-act plays on the theme of love and relationships (Feb 2015)
Shorts 2 – The return of the short play showcase, performed as part of Birmingham Fest (July 2014)
A Female Perspective – Our first full length production, consisting of three one-act plays (April 2014)
Shorts – A showcase of short plays (January 2014)
Culture Shock – A series of ten minute plays performed as part of Birmingham Fest (July 2013)